Top 5 Political developments of 2017
Three years have gone by of this current government, and they have had their share of thick and thin during this period. They have added many more states but have also lost some and that too by a fair margin.
In India as soon as NarendraModi has taken oath as Prime Minister, every common man in India has started following political news. If not on TV, then on daily news app but most people today do keep themselves with every political development that happens in India.
Here are some of the top 5 developments that occurred in 2017:
- BJP clean sweeping the UP elections: This was arguably the most followed and heated state elections that have ever occurred in India. At BJP’s end, NarendraModi kept on making outrageous comments on AkhileshYadav who responded equally with befitting remarks. The early exit polls though suggested that AkhileshYadav might have some edge, but BJP gave it all and at the end clean swept the other parties to form a government in Uttar Pradesh.
- Changes in Budget announcing dates: This was a historic decision made in the context of Indian politics that the first time the budget was presented on 1st February and also merged the railway budget with general budget. People kept themselves updated with every budget announcements that were made through news apps.
- Implementation of GST Bill: This news has made the headlines since the inception of this government, and it finally happened in 2017. The GST bill is acknowledged as the biggest tax reform and will also unite the country as a common market with single tax structure under the popular narrative ‘One Country, One Tax’.
- 4. Modi’s Cabinet Reshuffle: Recently this news made headlines more than ever. This was third cabinet reshuffle of Modi led NDA government in last three years. In all, nine new ministers were inducted into the cabinet and four got promotion as Union Cabinet Ministers. The one that created the maximum buzz was replacing Suresh Prabhu with PiyushGoyal as the new Railway Minister. No wonder after the derail incidents that have happened over last year or so prompted Modi to take this decision.
- 5. Foundation laid of Bullet Train: Though this was a revolution, yet the political pundits termed it as Modi’s masterstroke few months before Gujarat assembly elections. The warm welcome that Japanese Prime Minister received was a signal of the significance of ruling BJP in the state. More so this was because it was held Modi’s home state of Gujarat which is shortly going to the poll.
The year 2017 has witnessed some significant changes in the history of Indian independence. From revised Union budget dates to the successful implementation of the Goods and Services Tax bill. Modi government faced severe criticism not just from the opposition but some of its allies like Shiv Sena as well. In this modern era where breaking news keeps on happening, having news app on mobile phones have become quite essential to know what’s going on in the country on the political front.