Liver Transplant- All You Want to Know about It
When you are suffering from liver diseases, or it has been injured for some serious accidents, the deceased liver or part of it is removed surgically. This is known as a liver transplant. When your liver doesn’t act properly, it is replaced with a healthy liver, collected from a donor. Actually, the liver is one of the most important and the largest organ that is responsible for several functions, like removing toxins and bacteria from your body, processing medications, hormones, and nutrients, regulating immune responses and preventing infections and lot more. To have the best treatment, you need to look for the best liver transplant hospital in India.
Why Is Liver Transplant Done?
When the liver is damaged by any serious liver disease or the patient is suffering from liver cancer, a liver transplant is done. Liver failure can happen throughout a long period. This is known as a chronic liver failure. But, often it happens faster and within weeks, your liver becomes weaker. This situation is known as an acute liver failure or fulminant hepatic failure.
Now, there are several reasons behind the chronic liver failure. The most important reason of this is scarring in the liver that is known as liver cirrhosis. In this disease, the scar tissues replace the healthy liver tissues and hamper the liver function. What are the causes of liver cirrhosis? Have a look-
- Diseases at bile duct
- Hepatitis B and C
- Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease
- Genetic liver diseases
- Alcoholic liver disease
To treat any of these conditions along with certain types of liver cancer, a liver transplant is the only way to get back to stress-free life.
How to Choose a Transplant Centre
There is liver transplant surgery hospitals in India. How to pick the right one for you? Here are certain pre-conditions you need to check out-
- You should know about the numbers of transplants and types of them, performed by the center every year.
- Know about the survival rates after liver transplant from that center.
- You can tally the success rate of different transplant centers before choosing the right one.
- Understanding the treatment cost is one of the most important things you need to know while choosing the best transplant center. The overall cost will include before and after treatments of a liver transplant, tests, surgery, organ procurement, transportation to and from the center, hospital stays and further appointment.
- You should also be aware whether the transplant center is upgraded with latest technologies and equipment.
Symptoms of Liver Damage
Now, you know how to find a transplant center. But, often you may not understand apparently that your liver is being damaged. Here are certain symptoms which require immediate treatment-
- Dark colored urine
- Gray or darker colored stool
- Blood in stool
- Vomiting tendency
- Blood with vomiting
If taken care immediately, you can get a long life with a healthy liver. Don’t be reluctant to see a doctor while you are having any of such problems.